Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Vintage Toddler's Set - circa 1947


 


This adorable set belonged to my father. He wore it as a toddler and it was made by my grandmother. 
It consists of two pieces: a romper and a sleeveless pullover. Whenever I take it out, I cannot help but admire the miniature stitches  she made and the ingenious combination of stitches at the upper front part {click on the first picture to zoom it up}. 

The pattern of the romper repeats with the pullover. The set misses all of its buttons - I don't know why they were taken out. There were buttons on the pullover (you can see the gaping buttonholes on it) and on the straps (I've inserted tiny white stars instead in the picture).

My mother says that I have worn it too. Unfortunately, none of my kids did, but it is a valuable and treasured piece  I will keep forever.

2 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I can't believe it has been preserved in such fine form. What a family heirloom, just precious.

Unknown said...

Aawww Maya, such a precious piece this is... To know that your father wore this as a child... This must certainly give you shivers down your spine... It still looks so delicate! A wonderful heirloom!
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl